Harlan is a certified specialist in estate planning, trust and probate law, with over twenty-five years of experience. Harlan represents individuals, families, fiduciaries, beneficiaries, charities and businesses. He is very experienced in tax planning, tax audits and tax appeals, with a background as a CPA and a master's degree in tax law. Harlan works with clients to craft business succession plans and strategies to reduce business and individual taxes.
- Works on federal, state, and local tax matters, including representing Mapfre Stadium on tax matters, together with passage of legislation to exempt the stadium from real property tax.
- Argues tax cases before the Ohio Supreme Court, the Ohio Board of Tax Appeals, Ohio Department of Taxation, and county Boards of Revision.
- Represents clients in front of the Internal Revenue Service and the U.S. Tax Court.
- Part of the first group designated as a Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust, and Probate Law by the Ohio State Bar Association.
- Top Lawyer in Columbus, named by Columbus CEO Magazine
- Martindale Hubbell, AV Rating
- Super Lawyers, 2021-2023
Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- The Ohio State University, Professional Advisory Council
- Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust, and Probate Law by the Ohio State Bar Association
- Jewish Columbus
- Board of Trustees
- Co-Chair, Finance Committee
- Co-Chair, Trusted Charitable Advisors Program
- The Columbus Foundation, Professional Council
- LifeCare Alliance, Legacy Endowment Campaign, Advisory Council
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Council Member, Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law Section
- Member, Taxation Law Committee
- Florida State Bar Association
- University of Florida Advisor Network, Member
- Certified Public Accountant (inactive)
- Former Chairman, Columbus Estate Planning Council
- Former Chairman, Columbus Bar Association, Probate Court Committee
- University of Florida College of Law (LL.M. in Taxation)
- University of Dayton School of Law (J.D.) cum laude
- Miami University (B.S. in Accounting)
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- United States Tax Court